“The Power Is In The Pixel”
- Facebook’s new custom audience pixel… the PowerGlove of Digital Marketing?
- Quick Overview: What are custom audiences and how are they created
- The Components of the new Facebook Custom Audience Pixel and the “Events”
- Example 1: Set up the “Lead” event properly to segment your website’s hand-raisers
- Example 2: Set up the “ViewContent” event to laser-target the right ad to deliver to your readers
- Conclusion and video walkthrough Bonus: The FB Pixel Implemenation Blueprint
If you’re a child of the 80’s / 90’s like me… you might remember a real gem of a movie called: “The Wizard”
It was the story of a child who travels across the country to compete in a “Nintendo Tournament”… and there was some other weird primary plot about kidnapping, parental rights, etc…
But if you saw the movie as a kid, there were only two things about this movie that mattered:
- You get to see a kid play Super Mario 3, on a big-screen, in front of an arena full of people… for a “Championship” (“Video Armageddon”!)
- At one point in the movie, the main character’s archrival unveils “The PowerGlove”
“The Powerglove” was a glove that allowed you to control your NES games by using your hand motions and a wrist-mounted controller…
Now, this was YEARS before the Wii or any other mainstream motion control… so as you can imagine how INCREDIBLE this seemed to a kid between the ages of 5 – 10 years old.
Nevermind that the Powerglove was essentially useless in practice… the feeling of awe and “I can only imagine what I could do with technology that gives me that much control” was what I really remember.
A few weeks back, Facebook released a new version of their Custom Audience pixel…
And when I dug into the details and realized what they’d done… I felt like I’d just rediscovered the Powerglove.
Ok, it’s not that cool… but it’s powerful none-the-less…. Let’s Get into it!
In 5 minutes you will be:
- A “wizard” with the new FB Custom Audience pixel
- Well on your way to implementing the new pixel for your business (even if you’re afraid of coding, tags, etc.)
Here I have a “branch” in the path of this post for you.
If you already have a basic understanding of what custom audiences are, and want to get straight to the discussion of the new pixel and how to set it up:
click ol’ Hasselhoff to skip down the page…